The thought of being idle is appalling.
The thought of being unproductive is repulsive in every aspect.
The thought of being lethargic and proceeding about without purpose does not entice me.
With that said, being unduly occupied still overrules the inactive lifestyles led by many during this quarantine period. We're growing accustomed to the work-from-home procedures, inclusive of its around-the-clock responsibilities.
- The only thing more incredulous than the ever-arduous grocery store visit is the bills that result from them: Food expenses have surged - trifold, I should say. Our local community has passed the stage of "panic purchasing", though citizens have not refrained from hauling items as they become available. After all, the waiting has already happened.
- When paired with extended periods of mousework, shortened cooking frequencies have introduced the return of my long-time enemies, untreated RSIs. During such times, all members of the immediate household ought to pull their weight in terms of chore distribution. However, this is far from an ideal world, and reality is ̶u̶n̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶ oddly kind to those that fail to make equal contributions to mankind.
- Elaborating on the previous point, imbalance exists on this planet, and will continue to exist. As mere occupants of the planet, it's strange to think that mortal creatures such as ourselves subconsciously generate obstacles that prevent attaining harmony with the existing physical environment and surrounding creatures.
- (On a lighter note,) Non-essential retailers remain open - just opt for curbside pickup!
1. Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (thanks SKU!)
Nonuniform portioning aside and slightly saltier profile than desired, these golden brown provisions were perfectly chewy and delectable.
I owe my onion experiments to the 10 lb bag of onions that entered the house. Panko and egg on hand, I opted to try my hand at Onion Rings, only regretting my decision several hours too late. Rings neatly cut and extremely pungent, I began beating the egg and pouring away half the container of bread crumbs. The tedious coating process commenced, then terminated with foul-smelling fumes and hot oil injuries to the hand and face.
The outcome of the project was dismal, warranting none of the time, effort, and staple ingredients it entailed. For such cravings, should they ever surface in this lifetime ever again, I shall be ordering takeout from my local Harvey's - no ifs, ands, or buts.
5. Sweet Pickled Onions which, dare I say, are capable of rivalling Bick's.
6. Turmeric-Mascarpone Shrimp "Curry"
In reminiscence of my fantastical Third Wave experience (and sparked by Sunday Baking), I set out to brown butter and separate egg whites for the creation.
The result was sweeter than I would have preferred and admittedly quite subpar in comparison to the tender crumb of the St. Lawrence cafe's buttery specimen. Two chocolate-melting hiccups later, I surrendered the pieces to the fridge for preservation.
Smitten Kitchen has done it yet again! Truer words regarding recipes have never ̶s̶p̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶written.
Boasting an unbeatable aroma, soft and chewy interior, and the most satisfying crunchy exterior to ever grace my cooling rack, this 11-year-old recipe is a keeper.