But since lack of motivation to study for summer school finals always leads to some form of procrastination or another, I decided to watch it the night before my big math final. =)
Honestly, the only think I could find was the one on dailymotion that was supposedly subbed in six different languages for netizens from all over the world to enjoy. But the subs didn't work. None of them did. And though I'm pretty decent in Japanese ("semi-fluent" by teaching oneself using various forms of Japanese pop culture including dramas, anime, and the analysis of song lyrics, with the help of native Japanese speakers of course), I still kind of lacked the confidence to watch a movie from start to finish.
And so after what seemed like an endless amount of searching, I was able to find a French-subbed version. Hmm, lucky that I'm somewhat comfortable with reading French aren't I? (Well, Grade 10-level-French-comfortable anyway.)
Combining my knowledge of both languages, I was able to get through the movie no problem.
But oh gosh. BOY, was this some movie.
Truthfully, "Ai Ore!" is the Best Worst Movie I've ever seen.
Um...what? Yep. Best Worst. It means exactly what it sounds like: a low-cost production with a badly-organized plot (or simply put, a LACK of plot) executed by a cast of unpracticed-high-school-play level 'actors', complete with bad lighting and horribly inserted kiss scenes.
I'm not kidding; I thought people were joking when they said the kiss scenes were bad. After watching it for myself, I have confirmed this.
*SPOILER ALERT STARTING HERE*
The second one is just as forced, if not more, and happens 6 minutes into Part 4 of the movie.
Gotta give props to the director for finding an already established band to act in it though (AKIRA, who plays vocalist Kaoru in the movie is actually a vocalist in her own respect and has her own band that goes by the name DISACODE.) Though, points off for not actually training Ohno Ito to somehow look like she's playing a guitar properly.
Given that this is a romantic comedy targeted towards tweens/teens, I'll forgive the cast for their less-than-professional standard of acting (with the exception of the Student Council President and Vice President - they were good, I admit). But there's still quite a difference between an impromptu releasing of words with no feelings and light-hearted comedic relief.
(Kinda had to say that I was pretty disappointed in Ohno Ito. I liked her in "High School Debut"; is it even possible that she got worse at acting from gaining more experience? ^ ^ ;)
But alright, let's sum it up.
- Karam is a cutie. He doesn't get the name "Love Child of JaeHo" for nothing =P (And he seems to be an alright kisser, given that he still looked good kissing his on-screen partner who happened to bear a crazy resemblance to a plank of wood in the first kiss.)
- Takuya is hot. Like, he's supposedly to be the silly Nakatsu-type (refer to "Hana Kimi"), but he still manages to be hot. And I like that.
- Everything was so badly scripted and acted out that it was hilarious. Almost too outrageously hilarious to watch. (And trust me, that's definitely a positive comment *wink*)
- Honestly? Just read everything above this part. I'm serious. I'm not summing it all up again.
- CROSS GENE's Takuya is lovely, just lovely. And the Aoki Misako x Takuya pairing rank pretty high on my list =)
Wish we could have seen more of that though.
- Karam's Japanese is REALLY good O _ O
P.S. I'm not hating on this movie nor the cast that produced/participated in it. I'm not trying to be overly sarcastic either. Just an honest movie viewer giving an honest opinion.