But a mouthful worth saying, and a mouthful worth making in my opinion. It's low carb and high protein and well worth the effort. Oh, and for the record, these photos don't nearly it enough justice =P
Let's start! =)
- 250g light cream cheese, softened
- 5-6 tbsp yuzu jam
- 100 cc water (Feel free to add less/more than this amount)
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp matcha powder (opt.)
- about 1 tbsp chocolate shavings (opt.)
- 1 packet of Knox unflavoured gelatin powder
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
Total Cooking Time: about 8 hours
Active Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes about 2.5 cups.
1) Beat softened cream cheese with sugar and yuzu jam until fully combined. Gradually add water in small amounts to ease combining of the mixture. (I added enough just enough water to reach the consistency of pancake batter.)
2) Whisk in matcha powder and chocolate shavings if using. Beat to combine once again.
3) Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water and add to the mixture. Beat to combine. Place over a bain-marie, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
4) Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
5) Mix gelatin powder with 2 tbsp of water. Stir until completely dissolved and add to the mixture. Combine well.
6) Refrigerate mixture for about 4 hours.
7) Pour mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.
8) Serve and enjoy!
- To describe the flavours present in this concoction of an ice cream mixture, I'd have to say it's quite an acquired taste. I rather loved the tanginess of the yuzu combined with the creaminess of the cream cheese, mixed with a slight hint of bitterness from the matcha. My mom was also fond of the flavour. My dad on the other hand, however, wasn't. So keep in mind that this is mix is definitely not your run-of-the-mill ice cream flavour.
- Some medications cannot be taken in conjunction with citrus fruits such as yuzu and grapefruit. Please be aware of this before serving to an individual that may be taking such medications.
(Based on the the ENTIRE recipe)
Total Calories: 737.8 cal
Fat: 41.7 g
Cholestrol: 125 mg
Sodium: 875 mg
Carbohydrates: 46.6 g
Fibre: 0 g
Sugar: 39.8 g
Protein: 29 g