Well my friends, I make brownies. But not just any brownies! Healthy red velvet brownies that contain absolutely no colour additives since they derive a natural red-pink hue from pureed beets..
And while we're at it, why not just fold in some cream cheese to make them cheesecake brownies ^ ω ^
Ahhhhhh two-bite heaven.
Lastly, let's not forget that they're also low in calorie count, low in fat, gluten free, and pack in an extra dose of fiber through the use of oat flour. Go ahead. Indulge.
- 1 3/4 cup beets, cooked and pureed
- 200 g light cream cheese, softened
- 5/6 cup oat flour *
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 square Baker's Semisweet Chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 tsp coarse sea salt *
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
2) If using canned beets, empty the beet juice into a separate container upon opening the tin. Place the beets in a microwaveable bowl, cover, and microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until soft. Dice and place in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Alternatively, cook the beets over the stove until soft, let cool, and puree.
3) combine softened cream cheese with beet puree. Mix until smooth.
4) Sift in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add in sea salt and melted chocolate. Combine well.
5) Stir in vanilla extract and mix once more.
6) Pour mixture into a greased brownie pan, or one lined with parchment paper.
7) Bake for 16-18 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
8) Move to a cooling rack and let cool completely before placing in refrigerator. Chill for 30 minutes.
9) Slice and enjoy!
Makes 20 servings.
- I opted for canned beets as opposed to fresh since I find them unnecessarily messy to work with, but the choice is entirely up to you.
- In this recipe, I used PC Blue Menu's Light Cream Cheese to keep the fat content of the brownies to a minimum. However, if you prefer a richer taste, feel free to choose the regular (non-reduced fat) option.
- If you do not have sea salt, use a pinch of normal salt instead.
Fat: 2.5 g
Saturated: 1.2 g
Cholestrol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 88.8 mg
Potassium: 45.6 mg
Carbohydrates: 9.2 g
Fibre: 0.8 g
Sugars: 6.2 g
Protein: 1.8 g